Monthly Maintenance Tips
We are into month two of 2021, still keeping our fingers crossed this year will be more normal than the last. A new month means new tasks to tackle around the house. Performing a few simple monthly maintenance tasks on your home can prevent costly repairs down the road. Continueing to do monthly, seasonal, and annual maintanence will help preserve your homes value. The good news is that most of these monlthy maintenance chore can be done yourself with tools you already have lying around the house. Here is a quick list of task homeowners should be doing each month to help keep their home in tip top shape.
- Clean the furnace filter to remove dust build-ups, make it easier to regulate your home's temperature, and ultimately decrease energy bills.
- Check the water softener (if applicable) and replenish salt if necessary.
- Clean faucet aerators and showerheads to remove mineral deposits.
- Inspect tub and sink drains for debris; unclog if necessary.
- Test smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers, and all ground-fault circuit interrupters.
- Inspect electrical cords for wear.
- Vacuum heat registers and heat vents.
- Check that indoor and outdoor air vents are not blocked.
- Flush out hot water from the water heater to remove accumulated sediment.
- Clean the garbage disposal by grinding ice cubes, then flushing with hot water and baking soda.
Next time you're snowed in or have an extra hour of time, go ahead and take a walk around your house and tackle these simple tasks. Not only will you, your family, and your home benefit from it, but the future homeowner will appreciate a well kept property.